When is Spinal Fusion Necessary?
Because Dr. Blankenship takes a conservative approach to any type of spine surgery, a spinal fusion will be recommended only after other non-surgical treatments have failed, or if your condition can only be improved through surgery.
Some of the potential reasons Dr. Blankenship may consider spinal fusion surgery include:
- Some types of vertebral fracture
- Correction of a deformity such as scoliosis
- Elimination of pain from painful motion
- Vertebral slippage (spondylolisthesis)
- reatment of instability
- Treatment of some cervical disc herniations.